Soundview is primarily a residential neighborhood geographically located in the South Central section of the Borough of The Bronx in New York City. The neighborhood is part of Bronx Community Board 9. Its boundaries, starting from the North and moving clockwise are the Cross-Bronx Expressway to the North, White Plains Road to the East, Lacombe Avenue to the South, and the Bronx River to the West. The Bruckner Expressway bisects the neighborhood along the center and the Bronx River Parkway runs north to South. Soundview Avenue is the primary thoroughfare through Soundview. The local subway is the 6 line, operating along Westchester Avenue. Zip codes include 10472 and 10473. The area is patrolled by the 43rd Precinct located at 900 Fteley Avenue. Until the 1940s, the neighborhood was relatively undeveloped. Most of the residential housing, primarily multi-unit rowhouses and tenement style apartment buildings, had been built near the El on Westchester Avenue and along major streets like Soundview Avenue (once served by a streetcar). In 1941, Clason Point Gardens was the first development constructed by the NYCHA in The Bronx. It was followed by many other low and high-rise NYCHA developments across the neighborhood from the 1950s until the 1970s, which boosted the population significantly. During the 1950s, two controlled-access highways, theBronx River Parkway and Bruckner Expressway, were constructed. Later in the 1970s, large high-rise rental and co-op apartment complexes flourished across the neighborhood, under the badge of the Mitchell Lama program.
- The IRT 6 elevated train traverses, southwest to northeast, through the neighborhood, along Westchester Avenue.
- Elder Avenue (6)
- Morrison Avenue – Soundview (6)
- St. Lawrence Avenue (6)
- Several bus routes serve the neighborhood.
- Bx4: to Westchester Square (6) or Third Avenue-149th Street (2 5) (via Westchester Avenue)
- Bx4A: to Westchester Square (6) or Third Avenue-149th Street (2 5) (via Westchester Avenue and Metropolitan Oval)
- Bx5: to Pelham Bay Park (6) or Simpson Street (2 5) (via Story Avenue)
- Bx27: to Simpson Street (2 5) or Clason Point (via Rosedale Avenue)
- Bx36: to Pugsley–Randall Avenues or George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal (via 180th Street)
- Bx39: to Wakefield – 241 Street (2) or Clason Point (via White Plains Rd)