Throggs Neck is a narrow spit of land in the southeastern portion of the borough of the Bronx in New York City. It demarcates the passage between the East River (an estuary), and Long Island Sound. “Throggs Neck” is also the name of the neighborhood of the peninsula, bounded on the north by East Tremont Avenue and Baisley Avenue, on the west by Westchester Creek, and on the other sides by the River and the Sound. Throggs Neck was largely exempt from the severe urban decay that affected much of the Bronx in the 1970s. The peninsula was called Vriedelandt, “Land of Peace”, by the New Netherlanders. The current name comes from John Throckmorton, English immigrant and associate of Roger Williams in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. The Dutch allowed Throckmorton to settle in this peripheral area of New Amsterdam in 1642, with thirty-five others.At this time, the peninsula was also known as Maxson’s point as the Maxson family (Richard, Rebecca, John, etc.) lived there. Many of the settlers, including Anne Hutchinson and her family, were murdered in a 1643 uprising of Native Americans. Throckmorton returned to Rhode Island.In 1668, the peninsula appeared on maps as “Frockes Neck”. The peninsula was virtually an island at high tide: in 1776, George Washington’s headquarters wrote of a potential British landing at “Frogs Neck”.At the bridge over Westchester Creek, now represented by an unobtrusive steel and concrete span at East Tremont Avenue near Westchester Avenue, General Howe did make an unsuccessful effort to cut off Washington’s troops, 12 October 1776: when the British approached, the Americans ripped up the plank bridge and opened a heavy fire that forced Howe to withdraw and change his plans; six days later he landed troops at Rodman’s Neck (activate this link) to the north, on the far side of Eastchester Bay. In the 19th century, the area remained the site of large farms, converted into estates. About 1848 members of the Morris family purchased a large parcel of land and built two mansions and many cottages and service buildings, reached by a private dock in Morris Cove at the end of what is now Emerson Avenue, where they had nearly a mile of shoreline.After the Civil War, Collis P. Huntington, the railroad builder, purchased an extensive parcel just north of the Morris estate,which his heirs held until they were almost the last estate on Throggs Neck. Here Frederick C. Havemeyer, the sugar magnate, also had a country place.
- Bx5: to Pelham Bay Park or Simpson St station (via Story Ave.)
- Bx8: to 225th St station or Locust Point (via Williamsbridge Rd.)
- Bx40/42: to Morris Heights (via Tremont-Burnside Aves.)
- Q44: to Jamaica, Queens or West Farms
- Q50: to Flushing, Queens or Co-op City
- BxM9 express: to Midtown
- The 6 (Lexington Avenue Local): operates between Pelham Bay Park, the Bronx and Brooklyn Bridge–City Hall, Manhattan at all times.
- The Throggs Neck Bridge and the Whitestone Bridge provide access to Queens and Long Island.
- Due to the proximity of the Bruckner Interchange, the crossroads of the Hutchinson River Parkway, the Bruckner Expressway, the Van Wyck Expressway, theCross-Bronx Expressway, the Throggs Neck Expressway and the New England Thruway