Van Nest is a working-class neighborhood geographically located in the east Bronx borough of New York City in the United States.
The neighborhood is part of Bronx Community Board 11. Its boundaries, starting clockwise are as follows: Bronxdale Avenue to the northeast,
the Amtrak tracks to the southeast, and White Plains Road to the west. Van Nest predated Morris Park by 20 years and is considered the older brother to Morris Park.
Morris Park Avenue and White Plains Road are the primary commercial thoroughfares through Van Nest. ZIP codes include 10460 and 10462.
The area is patrolled by the 49th Precinct located at 2121 Eastchester Road in Morris Park.
Van Nest had at one time two Catholic grammar schools, St. Dominic’s located at 1684 White Plains Road and Our Lady of Solace located at the intersection of Holland and Morris Park Avenues. Both schools held classes from Kindergarten through eighth grade. However, by 2006 Our Lady of Solace had closed its doors due to budget cuts within the New York Catholic Archdiocese. Our Lady of Solace school building remained vacant until September 2010 when the Bronx Charter School of Excellence opened. The Bronx Charter School of Excellence has its main location at Benedict Avenue while the Holland Avenue site serves as only an annex for grades five and six. The School of Excellence began leasing the Solace building in August 2010. They have made $400,000 worth of renovations from electric wiring, plumbing, and exterior masonry work. The School of Excellence plans to expand to grades fifth through eighth within the next two years.
The New York Archdiocese announced in January 2011 that St. Dominic’s along with four other Bronx grammar schools will be closing by the end of the school year in June. St. Dominic’s grammar school, founded in 1952 has approximately 200 students who will need to transfer to other schools in the area. Some of the staff members especially the nuns will be transferring to St. Raymond’s school which is located in Parkchester. Prior to its closing in the end of June, a farewell Mass was held to commemorate the school’s 59 year history.
- Bx21: local service to Westchester Square subway station or Third Avenue–138th Street subway station (via Boston Road/Morris Park Avenue)
- Bx22: local service to Bronx High School of Science or Castle Hill (via Fordham Road/Castle Hill Avenue)
- Bx39: local service to Wakefield-241st Street subway station or Clason’s Point (via White Plains Road)
- Bx40/Bx42 local service to Morris Heights or Throggs Neck. (Bx40/Bx42 operate between the Van Nest and Parkchester border lines)
- BxM10: express service to Midtown Manhattan (via Bruckner Expressway/Triborough Bridge) We don't have any listings at the moment. Please come back later.