Wakefield is a working-class and middle class section of the northern borough of the Bronx in New York City, bounded by the New York city line with Westchester County or 243rd street to the north, 222nd Street to the south, and the Bronx River, Bronx River Parkway and Metro-North Railroad tracks to the west. Wakefield is the northernmost neighborhood in New York City (although the city’s northernmost point is actually in Riverdale, at the College of Mount Saint Vincent). The neighborhood is part of Bronx Community Board 12. The 2000 United States Census reported a total of 68,787 residents. Wakefield was named after the Virginia plantation where George Washington was born, just as neighboring Mount Vernon was named after the plantation where he lived and died.
Wakefield, like the rest of the Bronx, was once woods and farmland. That started to change in 1840 when the New York and Harlem Railroad arrived. The current Wakefield station of the Metro-North Harlem Line was on the site of a village called Washingtonville, which was incorporated into Wakefield.
The neighborhood is home to the prominent all-male Catholic secondary school Mount Saint Michael Academy, which serves 1,100 students from grades 7-12. The all-female St. Barnabas High School is located further west in Woodlawn and serves many students from Wakefield itself. The Wakefield Metro-North Railroad station on the Harlem Line is located at 241st Street. The neighborhood is served by the IRT White Plains Road Line (2 5) of the New York City Subway. The neighborhood’s primary ZIP Code is 10466, with certain areas around East 241st Street and White Plains Road listed as 10470.
- Bx8: to Locust Point (via Williamsbridge Road)
- Bx16: to Eastchester or Norwood-205th Street station (via Nereid Avenue-Mundy Lane)
- Bx31: to Woodlawn or Westchester Square (via Eastchester Road)
- Bx39: to Soundview and Clasons Point, Bronx (via White Plains Road)
- BxM11: express bus to Midtown Manhattan
- Wakefield-241st Street (IRT White Plains Road Line) (2, 5)
- Nereid Avenue-238th Street (IRT White Plains Road Line) (2, 5)
- 233rd Street (IRT White Plains Road Line) (2, 5)
- 225th Street (IRT White Plains Road Line) (2, 5)
- Wakefield (Metro-North station) (Harlem Line)